Desperate for Respite-click here to go to website
Desperate For Respite is a non-profit charitable corporation organized exclusively for charitable and community development purposes. Our corporation exists to provide support to caregivers caring for special needs children , dependent adults and their families in the Northwest Houston area, that face the challenges associated of caring for an individual with some level of disability; raising awareness and educating the community by developing relationships and community responsibility for supporting caregivers and their families.
Desperate For Respite began as a pilot program in 2008 on the campus of Graceview Baptist Church. In January 0f 2011 the founding board members: Tonya Frye, Tammie Jeffers and Kim Shirley came together to form the nonprofit corporation, Desperate For Respite.
Desperate For Respite's programs and services are set to kick off in May of 2011. The new location for our programs is in the process of negotiations. Our office is located in Northwest Houston.
Thanks to Anchor Staffing for providing Desperate For Respite with a home office!
Desperate For Respite supports caregivers with children and dependent adults with various special needs and circumstances through a Caregivers Night Out program the second Saturday of each month.
We also work closely with other ministries, business’ and organizations within our community to gather resources for caregivers and their families with an emphasis on bringing awareness and education to the community about the importance of caregivers and those that they are caring for.
Desperate For Respite
134 Vintage Park Blvd., Suite A#12
Houston, TX 77070
Graceview - The JOY Ministry
25510 Tomball Pkwy
Tomball, TX 77375
Collaborative for Children
3800 Buffalo Speedway Suite 300
Houston TX 77098
· Zip code based referral service for respite childcare and parenting programs.
· Respite for children with special needs, ages 3-21, siblings included
· Friday evenings, 6:30-10:30
· Requires pre-registration, $10.00 fee, partial scholarships
· Includes games, crafts, movies, music
Special Friends Night Out!
Lake Houston YMCA
2420 West Lake Houston Parkway
Kingwood, Texas 77339
· For children with disabilities, ages 5 and older, siblings included
· Saturdays, 6:30-10:00, one Saturday a month
· Pre-registration requested.
· $5 member, $10-non-member, $2 sibling
· Each child is paired with a volunteer buddy and participates in arts & crafts, dancing, gym games, etc.
· Saturday Fun Day -An out-of-home program for individuals, ages 4 to 25, with a diagnosis of mental retardation and or autism and other autistic spectrum disorders.
· Provides games, sports, computer learning, songs and other recreational activities.
· Community wide field trips
§ Central Houston (ages 4-14) - 2 Saturdays/month from 10:00 am - 3:30 pm
§ Cy-Fair (ages 8-18 ) - 2 Saturdays/month from 10:00 am - 3:30 pm
§ Kingwood (ages 15-25) -one Saturday/month from 10:00 - 4:00 pm
The Open Door
Sugar Creek Baptist Church
13333 Southwest Freeway, Suite 200
Sugarland TX 77478
Barbara Waldhuber 281-274-7431
· Provides respite services to children with special needs, ages 4-14.
· Break-Out - Parent Night Out on the third Friday every month, need to reserve slot. There is a $5 fee and siblings are free. During the summer there is a vacation bible school especially for children with special needs, with no fee.
· A Day to Remember - A day camp every Thursday from 9 am to 2 pm; $15 fee for the day.
Easter Seals of Greater Houston (formerly UCP)
4500 Bissonnet, Suite 340
Bellaire TX 77401
713-838-9050, ext 332
Erin Siaotong│ Family Day Out and Respite Coordinator
Office 713.838.9050 x 357│Fax 713.664.0982